Friday, July 15, 2011

Whit's Wit

FAMILY FRIDAY!!!

My Mother and I were attending a function at my Daughter's Elementary School one year.  It was an outdoor PE demonstration, so everyone was settle around the parking lot of the school, in a very casual manner - some standing, but most of us sitting on the ground, chatting and waiting for the demonstration to start.

Since we were somewhat gathered up, we could easily hear other conversations taking place around us.  My Community is filled with many different races of people, so it is not surprising at all to hear many different languages spoken when out and about.  So when these two Hispanic ladies began to chat in their native tongue, it was not surprising to us.  However, a few minutes into their conversation my Mother got this very strange expression on her face - leaned into me and whispered:
"Can you hear them?"  "Yes, Ma'am",  I replied.  
"Can you hear what they are saying?" Again "Yes, Ma'am." 
"Can you UNDERSTAND what they are saying?"  and my final "Yes, Ma'am".  
"Oh...are they speaking English now????  I thought all of a sudden I was able to understand SPANISH!! schwew!!"

To this day we will ask her to read something in Spanish and she will return with "You know I can't READ it, I can just understand the Spoken Word!"


No comments:

Post a Comment