Monday, August 8, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Check, check and RE-Check!!

I spent the day thrift store shopping with my Mom and my Daughters (plus a bonus Daughter!).  I had a fantastic day!  We laughed, we shopped, we got awesome stuff for next to nothing PLUS discounts on some of it.  It was seriously a perfect way to spend the day.

...and then I got home.  After unloading all of our great loot and divvying up between us, I realized I was missing 3 items - all of them belonging to my youngest Daughter, Sammi.  We searched the car, I called my Mom and she searched her bags, I called the store to see if they had it there (nope), I searched the car again...the items just aren't there.  Keep in mind we were thrift store shopping.  The missing merchandise only totaled $8.  And with the additional discounts we received I'm really only out about $3.  

But here's the thing.  At one time, not too awful long ago, minus $3 might have meant I didn't have lunch money for my kids.  $3 doesn't make or break us now, but at one time it did.  So I have a hard time 'letting go' of that money.  I think it is important to remember the past mistakes so you can avoid them in the future.
So....here's how I plan to "let go - but remember" this mistake:  I'm going to remember to check my bags and my receipts WHEREVER I shop BEFORE I leave the parking lot.  It's that simple.  I will get to my vehicle, get inside with my purchases (lock the door - safety first!), and check my receipt against my purchases.  People make mistakes - computers make mistakes - and since it is ultimately MY responsibility to make sure I get the items I purchased at the price I agreed to pay, then I am going to stop making my own silly mistakes.

I have to admit that while I am typing this I am thinking "yeah - sure you will check every single item you purchase at the GROCERY STORE...liar".  But while I'm purchasing groceries I am more watchful at the register because of coupons, and because the bagging process is much more streamlined there than at regular stores.  But I do vow to check my buggy (grocery cart) more carefully to guarantee I don't leave something in the bottom and to be very a vigilant watcher during the checkout process.

Look - it's OUR money - If I'm going to give it away I'd like to know who I'm giving it to, right??  Head my advice friends; you don't want to walk in my Daughter's shoes - which is one of the missing items - do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment