Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

So I keep saying that I don't sew - but I sure have been sewing a lot lately!  I guess I should just start saying I don't sew well!  Anyway, it didn't seem to stop my Daughter from asking me to stitch together a chair skirt for her vanity stool.

She is definitely my child...when she gets an idea in her head she wants it NOW and she wants it FREE.  So after she had spray painted her old vanity and stool a beautiful, bright white she realized the dingy beige cushion was going to drive her crazy.  She searched through our stash of stuff and found four lovely cloth napkins that I had purchased (on sale, of course) to use in my kitchen, but for some reason they never really got used.  Stephanie simply fell in love with the pattern and was going to use them to cover the stool.  Unfortunately, the stool was just a bit too big.  Sewing two of them together would have put a giant seam down the middle of the cushion.  What to do, what to do??

Little Sister to the rescue!!  Samantha, my youngest, suggested making a skirt instead of covering the chair!  She even figured out that we really only needed three napkins for the skirt and the fourth could be used on the vanity itself.  We cut two napkins in half, sewing a half napkin onto the edges of the full napkin...like this:


Then all she had to do is drape it over the cushion:


How clever was that?!?!  These napkins had already beautiful white zig-zag border around it, so my lousy sewing skills don't even really show up!  For someone who sews on a regular basis, this would have probably taken about 15 minutes to complete.  Since I always like to teach my kids how NOT to do something, it took me at least (at least!!) and hour.

Now and Free?  SUCCESS on both!!

No comments:

Post a Comment