Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Rehash Your Trash!

I was reading an article this morning about containers and how to use things like cardboard boxes and decorate them with contact paper or fabric.  It reminded me of a time in my life when money was, uhm, less than easy to come by.  I had some cardboard boxes stored in my bedroom because I needed somewhere to keep my linens and winter clothes.  I also needed bedside tables for my bedroom.  I think the saying is "One Man's Trash is another Man's Treasure", but in my case, it was my trash and my treasure!  I stacked up my cardboard boxes, covered them with a couple of table clothes my Mom had given me and magically had two new bedside tables!  They were so cute that I made a couple for my living room as well!  I honestly got more compliments on these tables than I probably ever have on any of my real furniture.  They were bright and a bit quirky and totally different than anyone else had - that's for sure!

My point here is before you go out to buy something (especially with money you don't have or can't spare) walk around your house and see if you have something that can be re-purposed and used for something else.  A bunch of cardboard boxes standing up in a corner look awful - but some cute-yet-functional eclectic end tables look awesome!  Be creative!!

No comments:

Post a Comment