Friday, June 17, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Rehash your Trash!


Today we are going to talk drawers.  Not granny panties or boxers - I'm talking about dresser drawers.  When I, for lack of a better phrase, inherited my Grandparents home, I inherited a lot of their furnishings as well.  Trouble was, I had my own furniture and, well, my style and my Grandmother's style were a little bit different.  So a lot of furniture wound up in my basement.  Why didn't I sell it or give it away?  In my Family, inheriting means "never, ever, ever get rid of"...sigh.

After about 10 years I finally got smart.  If I can't get rid of it, I can use it.  I didn't need any furniture but I desperately needed some storage containers!  One dressing table became a VHS (hush now) and DVD storage area, as well as serving as a pseudo Media Table for all those game thingies that we own that I don't have any use for.  Drawers from a chest were removed and used as under the bed storage (this was one of my most brilliant ideas).  They fit very nicely under my bed and make it look a lot nicer than just throwing books and things under the bed.  

I was also using a dresser to store my linens, which worked out great - until my Parent's house was demolished by the flood and they actually had a real use for the dresser.  The linen storage area was nice, but it was much more rewarding to be able to give back a tiny bit to my Parents.  

As I have said a hundred (and one now) times - THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.  If you have things sitting around taking up space, see what you can do with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment