Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

For those of you who don't know me personally, let me explain my Family Dynamic.  I am a Wife and Stay at Home Mom to a 20 year old College Student and a 16 year old High School Junior.  Both are girls - both have boyfriends.  (Youngest was just allowed to start dating - I'm THAT kind of Mom.)  Since it is Summer Break, the youngest sleeps and watches tv or goes out.  The oldest babysits so she is gone at very random times during the week. My Husband is a Workaholic - to a point.  Basically, he likes to get up early in the morning, do whatever he wants to do for a couple of hours (unless there is work emergencies to handle) and then he leaves for work around 10-10:30 am. and works until 8, 9, 10.....11 pm each night.

Ok, now that you know that, let me tell you what I figured out just today.  I don't HAVE to have a normal schedule.  For the last six years I have assumed that I needed to do my housework, couponing, accounting, etc. from the time I woke up until 5 or so.  I'm not saying I actually did that - but I have actually felt guilty about it if I didn't.  I simply thought that's what REAL GOOD MOMS did.  Well, I know I'm a really good Mom, but I don't have babies anymore - and I don't have a Husband who comes home for lunch, or who expects dinner on the table at 6 pm.  I have a wonderful, dysfunctional Family that is growing up and doing their own thing now.

So it is time for ME to do MY own thing!  I laughingly told someone today that yesterday I worked the "2 to 10" schedule but today I seemed to be working the "?? to ??" shift!!  I have ALL DAY to get my work done.  Nightime seems to be my loneliest time so, like tonight, I waited to clean the bathrooms until 6.  Didn't hurt a soul - and the house will smell extra nice with the Hubby gets home.  Sure, some things will have to be done before sunset, but I've been doing this for years and as long as I get my work done, what does it really matter WHEN I do it? 

I feel like a rebel - a trendsetter - honestly, I feel like I have been set free!  I have said all along that as long as there are clean clothes, food, cokes and someone to tell their troubles to, my Family could care less whether the vacuuming gets done at 9 am or 8 pm!  And for some reason, today I have decided to believe it!

Take a look at your life - are you running your schedule based on what you want to do, or what you think OTHERS think you should do?  Perhaps you need to do a little bit of self-analysis yourself.  You might come up with a plan that works for YOU!
Good Luck and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment