Thursday, June 2, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

I LOVE Summer - I truly do - but I have to admit that it is SUPER HOT!  We have every fan on in the house, the A/C is churning like a butter factory, we are keeping unnecessary rooms closed off, and trying to keeps the lights turned off - and it is still in the 80's in my home.  

One thing I refuse to do is turn on the oven.   We might as well just climb in it and turn it on - that's how hot the house would feel!  When it gets this hot outside, you have to learn to be creative with dinner.  "Lazy Days of Summer", right?  Summer is for sandwiches, grilling outdoors, cold salads, microwaved dinners, or eating out!  I don't suggest the last one very much (because I'm frugal) but I also wonder if getting a few dollar menu meals might not be cheaper than trying to cool off your home after cooking a full course dinner in the oven.  Sometimes you have to ask yourself  "which is cheaper?"  

If you absolutely HAVE TO bake something and are afraid to try it on the grill, bake early in the morning when it's the coolest and do as many things as you can at once.  If you need to bake a cake for a party, go ahead and make some muffins and cupcakes along with the cake and simply freeze them for future use!  

Keep in mind you can cook just about anything on the grill....even pizza!  It's just an outdoor oven.  Grab you a soft drink (or ice cold beer!) and head outside to try out some creative cooking ideas!  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment