Thursday, June 16, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

DARN IT!

Seriously, I mean it - darn it - or sew, or stitch, or whatever phrase you use for mending cloth items.  I don't sew.  Well...no, that's what I'm saying - I don't sew well.  I have been known to make some placemats and a really lopsided pillowcase, but that's about it.  But I do know how to sew on buttons and fix a hole in a pair of undies.

I know that we are a very 'throw away' society and I have to bet that a lot of people will see a hole in a sock and throw it away.  And I used to be like that ...until I realized how wasteful it truly was.  Not that I threw the sock away, I usually threw it in a rag bag and used it for dusting or such.  But I decided that, since we rarely have socks that match in this household, perhaps I should start saving the ones I could.  And I did.  And it makes me feel domestic - all "Little House on the Prairie-ish".  

Just this week I have fixed an apron (missing button), a blouse ('bling' was coming off), a shoe (clasp broke), a pair of undies (bought them like a month ago!) and my laundry bag.  And it was easy!  And I didn't have to go shopping for a replacement for any of them.  And it actually gave me something productive to do instead of just vegging in front of the tv...I darned will vegging instead!

Seriously, give it a try!  Most things don't require any skill - getting the needle threaded is the hardest part!

No comments:

Post a Comment