Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Whit's Wisdom - SPECIAL EDITION

Be Careful What You Auto Renew!!

What started out as a very productive day went downhill very quickly!  I was paying my monthly credit card bills online (yes, I pay them off in full each month), and I noticed a charge from McAfee for $89.   Hmmm....curious.  And then I remembered an email I had received from them last week that I had flagged to read when I had time.  (Note - flags do not always work so well as reminders.)  $89 charge?  It looks like I had time NOW.

According to the email, McAfee had - per my original instructions - upgraded my anti-virus subscription for yet another year.  Great - right?  WRONG.  I had recently won a free 3-computer subscription for my laptop and now I had virus protectors coming out the wazoo!!  Who's fault was it?  Mine!  I guess years ago I thought it was a great idea to have it update automatically so I didn't have to bother with it.  Well, years ago we had more computers and different needs than we do now...but I was paying for a 3 computer subscription on computers that were already covered by another protector.  I have to say I was incredibly lucky because I did happen to notice this before the 30 day guarantee expired, and McAfee was an absolute joy to work with.  They did not give me one bit of trouble for canceling and they sent confirmation information immediately.  I want to point out that I didn't have any trouble with them at all product or support wise - I just had a free copy from a competitor.

Before any of you have a frustrating and perhaps not as lucky experience, I'd sit down and think about anything and everything you might have set on Auto-Pilot.  You could be paying for something you don't need like I was!!

No comments:

Post a Comment