Monday, May 23, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

It's All in the Way You Look at It!

This is not frugal.  This is not good for the environment.  This is not a good lesson in raising children.  This is SUMMER SURVIVAL.

School is about to be out for the summer and that means teenagers/young adults hanging out here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Which means teenagers/young adults EATING AND DRINKING here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  (or really, really close to that.)  So I did something yesterday I am not proud of....I bought 50 plastic solo cups and a sharpie.  And when they are gone, I will buy more.

My children and their friends have the following instructions:  Upon awakening, grab a cup, write your name on it and use it until you are ready to go to bed.  At which point you empty it, rinse it AND THROW IT IN THE RECYCLE BIN.  Repeat until Summer is over.  

Yes, this is incredibly wasteful - BUT I DON'T CARE.  I refuse to spend another Summer washing thousands and thousands of half-empty glasses, picking them up from every room, pouring out drinks because no one is sure who it belongs to.  Of course I should be able to say 'do your own dishes'...but there is always "Not Mine's" dishes left in the sink - He NEVER DOES HIS!  Just ask anyone in the house whose dishes those are in the sink....Not Mine!  

So, I'm going to waste money, I'm going to teach my family I'm a pushover, I'm going to fill the recycle bins with lots of unnecessary plastic....and I am going to be SANE come Fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment