Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Recycle, Reuse, Repurpose, Redo!

I suppose since I mentioned butter dishes in my earlier post (see Wonderings and Ponderings), I should dedicate today to the usefulness of Redneck Tupperware. Everyone has it - they just don't know it.  Every time you purchase butter tubs, cottage cheese, whipped cream, yogurt, party trays, chinese soup takeout - you are purchasing yet another piece of Redneck Tupperware.

Our world is filled with plastic containers!  The sad thing is most folks throw them in the garbage (yeeeeikes!).  I honestly grew up in a home where the was not one piece of real Tupperware or any facsimile thereof, but there was tons of leftovers in the refrigerator - so HOW did my Mom possibly do that???  Because she wasn't wasteful and she was smart!  Why in the world would you throw away a perfectly good container?  Because it has "Shedd's Spread" on the side?  I think not!

If it has a lid on it, it gets used in this home!  You can freeze sauces or soups in butter tubs, store leftovers in cool whip bowls, eat ice cream out of yogurt cups - the food possibilities are endless!  Thinking outside the kitchen, you can store just about anything in a plastic container - pens, pins, tacks, nails, hair pins, ribbons, toys - need I continue?   Party trays are fantastic for reusing as - well, party trays - or taking home leftovers from family dinners.  When my girls have to take in snacks for school, I always send it in saved trays like this.  We don't have to worry if it doesn't make it back home.  

Seriously, there are no boundaries here.  Stop looking at only the  inside and start looking on the outside for a change! 

No comments:

Post a Comment