Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

I honestly hate to admit how frugal (cheap) I am sometimes.   If my sharing helps someone get out of debt, become a stay-at-home parent or take the exotic vacation they've always dreamed of, well then, I guess the embarrassment is worth it.

When I went in San Francisco (I still love saying that!) it was because my Husband had business there and his company paid all his expenses.  Yes, all of HIS expenses - not mine.  So the first day I was on my own I went to eat breakfast at a quaint little diner in Union Square.  One biscuit, gravy and coffee later and I was handing over $11!! I can feed my entire family breakfast for $11 at home!! 

I walked out of that diner and directly into the closest Walgreen's (they are on EVERY corner!).  I bought a jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, a bag of chips and a 2 liter of Coke.  $14.  Oh, and a big, fat yummy chocolate muffin!  That was my breakfast one day and lunch for the next three days.  I had been given a Starbucks gift card for Christmas and used that to pay for breakfast and coffee for the remainder of the week.  When we left we gave the leftovers (yes, there were plenty!) to the maid and ask that she have them given to a homeless person.  (Unfortunately, they are on every corner as well.)

My Husband scolded me for not being able to just let go and spend and enjoy.  What I pointed out to him (and is ultimately my entire point here) is that because I saved so much money by eating breakfast and lunch on the cheap, I was able to (1) go to a movie; (2) eat an amazing cream puff, (3) do some shopping, (4) buy some wine and (5) eat out 'fancy' with my sweet husband each night!  I chose to sacrifice a bit on a small level so that I could live a bit on a much preferred level.  Yes, I think he realized again just how lucky he truly is.  :)

I felt like I got the best of both worlds just by eating a few peanut butter sandwiches - and who doesn't love peanut butter?

(note - I would have had coffee in my room and save the Starbuck's money, but there was no coffee pot in the room!  Can you imagine???  I will travel with a hot pot from now on!!)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Frugal friends forever!!! I see your followers are growing! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! I'm glad to hear you are frugal too - we can swap ideas!! And I'm probably gaining followers but losing friends - I'm a bit pushy....lol!

    ReplyDelete