Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wait.....WHAT?

http://www.aetv.com/heavy/video/?bcpid=754809947001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAEK2ejU~,Ai-tVL3JZg2DV0Voz_9weh3uhv7PLrz_&bclid=796458795001&bctid=798200137001

I mentioned in my What are you Watching? blog last night that I would be watching A&E's show HEAVY.  This is a fantastic new program that shows the weight loss journey of two people each week.  It's not a contest.  It's a journey of real people who are obese and what they have to go through to get back to a healthy weight and, more importantly, maintain that new healthy lifestyle.

Last night was even more special for me because a High School classmate (South Cobb High School Class of 1983) was one of the participants on the show.  I had not personally seen Ronnie since graduation day, but I have been Facebook Friends with him for the last couple of years.  I have to say, when I first 'friended' him I was totally shocked.  He was not the lean football player I remembered at all.  At over 400 pounds, he was physically unable to do the things that he wanted to do with his family and friends.

 The reason this has fallen into my Wait....WHAT? category is this:  Ronnie was able to lose an amazing 180 pounds during his six months program of exercise, diet and therapy.  That in itself deserves a jaw drop, but he took it even further.   His final PERSONAL GOAL was to run one minute for every pound he lost - that is 180 minutes - or THREE HOURS.  When he was done he had run the equivalent of 15 miles.  If that doesn't deserve a wait....WHAT?? then I don't know what does! 

I've linked the program here and  strongly urge you to watch it.  Ronnie's, as well as his partner in weight loss, Debbie, stories are motivating and an inspiration for us all in whatever our personal struggles are.  We can overcome all obstacles - we just have to be willing to go that extra mile...or in Ronnie's case - those extra 15!!

No comments:

Post a Comment