Friday, February 25, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

One frugal word that will help you save money:  JUNKIN'!  That's what my family has always called it anyway.  Buying second-hand clothing, furniture, appliances, gadgets and gizmos galore have saved my family thousands of dollars for three generations now. We shop at thrift & second-hand clothing stores and the occasional flea market or yard sale.

If you have small children it is absolutely the best place to purchase clothing and toys for them.  Make sure you wash everything - stuffed animals hold up fabulously in the washer (even in hot water) and a little 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water mixture will clean just about any plastic surface.  You can get fantastic deals on furniture too.  Moving into that first apartment?  Why in to world would you buy all new furniture?  My Mom used to be a buyer for a gifts store and knows all the top dollar knick-knack brands.  We have purchased gift items for pennies on the dollar.  

I guess my favorite thing about purchasing second hand is I don't feel so bad when I break it, get grease on it, lose it, etc.  If it cost me an eighth of what retail was, it's not as big of a let down.

Remember the saying:  One man's junk is another man's treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment