Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

I simply cannot let today pass without paying homage to the most inspirational person in my youth (that is, besides my Mom.)  Theodor Seuss Geisel - better known as Dr. Seuss.  Born March 2, 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts, Dr. Seuss was an artist and cartoonist, but is best known and loved for his 44 children's book, many of which were transformed into cartoons, movies and even a Broadway Musical.

Dr. Seuss' words have been a part of my life from the beginning.  My Mother read to my Brother and I quite possibly while we were in the womb.  Since reading is such a giant part of her life, she wanted to pass along the love of literature to us as well.  What better way to begin than by repeating the words of Dr. Seuss.  "I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.",   "You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.","This mess is too big and too deep and to tall. We can't clean it up! We can't clean it up at all!"  What child could hear silly sayings like this and not want to hear more?  

As adults, both my Brother and I passed along the love of Dr. Seuss to our families as well.  My grown daughters will point to oddly shaped trees or flowers or hairstyles and compare them to the Seuss books.  My youngest daughter is named Samantha and is delighted to be linked to "Sam I Am".  And yes, on many occasions (such as this evening) we have eaten Green Eggs and Ham.  "Try them, try them, and you may! Try them and you may, I say." "I like green eggs and ham! I like them Sam I Am!"

If you have never read Dr. Seuss (incredible as that seems) I urge you to click the link below and read some of his more famous quotes.  I guarantee that you will be smiling, nodding your head in agreement, perhaps even tearing up a bit at some of his profound wisdom. 


Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss - and thank you!
http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/61105.Dr_Seuss?page=1 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment