Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Pack A Lunch!

One of the easiest ways to save money is by not eating out at lunchtime.  Do you even realize how much money you are spending each day?  I would say an average take-out lunch is around $7....that's $35 a work week.... $1,820 a year.  Even if you eat a $3 meal deal from McDonald's - that still comes to $780 a year.   And seriously, how many of us pay even more than the average by dining out in restaurants where the food is more expensive and a gratuity is involved. Is that REALLY how you want to spend your money?

I make my Husband's lunch every day.  If I didn't, he wouldn't.  Not because he minds taking it, he just doesn't like the hassle.  It's not something I just love to do, but I love the idea that we can take a  vacation - make a couple of extra house payments - have an emergency fund - by taking five minutes a day to make his lunch.  His job provides a company paid lunch once a week so he gets a treat and doesn't get tired of eating a homemade lunch each day.  So even adding an 'eat out day' once a week is still a huge savings on your wallet.

But, back to actually making the lunch.  He takes sandwiches, leftovers and sometimes frozen dinners (if I get them on deep discount)chips, fruit, energy bars.  It's just part of my routine to make his lunch in the mornings.  But I'm also not trying to rush out to get to a job either.  What I suggest to everyone is making that lunch AT NIGHT and storing in the refrigerator.  When I worked outside the home I would fix lunches while cooking my dinner.  That way it is ready to go the next morning (the most hectic time of the day!).  Having it all ready also keeps you from using lack of time as an excuse to eat out.

And DO treat yourself every once in a while.  Plan a lunch date with a friend or co-worker once or twice a month, eat at your favorite restaurant, go out for an ice cream after your homemade lunch.  It always tastes so much better and is much more rewarding when it isn't a daily event.

No comments:

Post a Comment