Monday, March 21, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Humpty had all the King's horses and all the King's men....and he still couldn't get unscrambled in one day!!

I was fine when I woke up....until I remembered that I had two tons of laundry to do (got behind last week and still refuse to do laundry on the weekends), a house with no food in it, an a computer room that had been totally demolished yesterday and needed to be put back together again.   Oh, and it's time to pay bills too.  

Once I got the crying and screaming stopped so I could think (yeah, it was me) I realized this:  It doesn't ALL HAVE TO BE DONE TODAY.  In this house if my family has dinner, a pair of clean jeans and internet access they are happy.  They don't care if they have to step over a couple of totes or if the laundry room looks like it exploded.  And I schedule bill paying early so I have a few days leeway.  Since I'm not having Oprah or Queen Elizabeth over for tea at noon - I don't really think this mess is going to hurt anyone, is it?

So, I'm creating my to-do list, breaking it down in small segments, and going to tackle it a little bit at a time.  And I'm going to reward myself after each segment.  A piece of dark chocolate here, and coffee break there....even some sunshine time!  And what doesn't get done today can just wait until tomorrow!

Morale of the story - stop putting so much unnecessary pressure on yourself.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  Stop and smell the roses.  Rome wasn't built in a day!