Thursday, March 10, 2011

Who Knew?

Do you use the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner?  I had a coupon for a free kit a few months ago, so I tried it.  And I liked it!  I still have to clean out my bathtub, but this really seems to keep the mold out of the grout (is there anything worse than moldy grout??) and seems to help slow down the mildew on the shower curtain (ok...that is worse than grout mold).

Anyway, I highly recommend the product.  However, those refills are EXPENSIVE!  Even with coupons!  But vinegar is cheap....and so is water.  And vinegar is an acidic liquid that, teamed with water,  is a FANTASTIC CLEANER!  Although it definitely has a powerful smell, it dissipates when dry so it's only a temporary annoyance.

So WHO KNEW that, with an empty Scrubbing Bubbles shower container, a small funnel, vinegar, water and a ton of patience, you can make your own refill for your Automatic Shower Cleaner?  I filled it with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 tap water.  It definitely takes a while to fill because it has such a tiny hole.  I imagine the lid could be pried up, but I was afraid it would strip the threads and would leak.  I just discovered that if I gently squeezed the bottle when I was pouring the liquid that it flowed through the funnel a bit easier. 

I put it back in it's holder and hit the button and it worked like a charm!  I'll do a follow up story in a couple of weeks to let you know if the vinegar/water combo cleans as well as the Scrubbing Bubble solution.

Note:  If you really can't stand the vinegar smell, maybe you could try a store brand liquid cleaner.  You can usually pick those up pretty cheap.