Friday, March 4, 2011

Whit's Wisdom


For my friends who are Chronic Worriers: I worry about most things, but my biggest worry (fear) is something physically happening to my children. I recently determined something about my worry and I hope my self discovery will help some of you.

One weekend both of my children were away from home. Keep in mind, my girls are 20 and 15. They are incredibly mature girls who make good decisions. They are, honestly, a parent's dream. Regardless, I still worry. But this particular weekend I had worked hard and was tired and sleepy.  After dropping my youngest off for a school trip, I came home and went to bed - and realized I was dropping off to sleep. WHAT??? My girls were away from home and I was sleeping? ME???? And I then it occurred to me:  I WORRY because I'm afraid that IF I DON'T WORRY THEY WILL GET HURT. As if my wringing my hands and not sleeping is a Talisman against Evil. Even I know that isn't true!!

I would suggest to my worry-friends that you try to evaluate the WHY behind your fear and worry. Oh, I'm not cured, but I am a bit more relaxed now. I let myself sleep - I allow myself to enjoy things without the fear of NOT worrying. It's a definite step in the right direction. :)

(Note:  This is a Whit's Wisdom repeat.   My oldest Daughter is traveling next week, and I needed to remind myself that it is just as easy to choose to have FAITH as it is to choose to WORRY.  I am choosing FAITH.)

No comments:

Post a Comment