Friday, March 18, 2011

Who Knew?

I absolutely LOVE Hungry Girl! http://www.hungrygirl.com/  She is just a regular person (not a nutritionist) who loves to eat but wants to maintain a healthy weight.  So she has taken everyday REAL FOODS (and tons of restaurant foods) and re-created them with healthier, lower calorie alternatives.

I have tried tons of her recipes and, so far, I haven't found one that I didn't like.  Tonight I hit the JACKPOT of HG recipes though.  Hungry Girl Magical Low Calorie Margarita!  It truly tastes like a yummy mexican restaurant margarita!  Not only is it tasty but look at this!
PER SERVING (entire recipe, 1 margarita): 115 calories, 0g fat, 55mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g fiber, <0.5g sugars, 0g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*

I personally think it is much better than those store bought mixes and it has tons less calories and sugars.  It was super simple to make too (recipe below).  I made them 'on the rocks' but my next batch I will try some frozen ones.  If I only had a fancy margarita maker I think they would be perfect!  I highly recommend your signing up for Hungry Girl's daily email AND check out her cookbooks!  I own four of them!

I have definitely found my new Summer drink!  CHEERS!

HG's Magical Low-Calorie Margarita
Ingredients:
3/4 cup Sierra Mist Free (or Diet Sprite Zero, or your other fave no-cal lemon-lime soda)
*1.5 oz. tequila
1 packet (two 5-calorie servings) sugar-free powdered drink mix, lemonade (like the one by Crystal Light) 2 tbsp. lime juice
Optional: lime slice for garnish and salt or no-calorie sweetener for rim of glass

Directions:
If desired, run some lime juice along the rim of the glass and dip into a dish of salt or sweetener. Mix all ingredients together. Pour over 1 cup of crushed ice. Optional: Garnish with lime slice. Enjoy. Serves 1!

*You can also make your margaritas alcohol-free. Each recipe, without tequila, contains around 20 calories!