Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Got a picky eater living at your house?

I wish I could say "My kids ate what I cooked or they went to bed hungry!"....but I can't.  I was a short order cook for a few years (or so it seemed), and then I just adjusted my dinner meals around what they would eat.  As they've matured, so have their taste buds.  As with everything else in raising children....it does get easier as time goes by.

I did learn a couple of tricks along the way, though.  Kids will TRY everything they help prepare.  They might not eat it, but if you let your child help you cook they have that ownership - that pride - and they will normally take a bite or two just to prove that they are fantastic cooks.  Sometimes we all get surprised and they actually like it!

Kids love finger foods.  Heck, I love finger foods.  Give me a few finger sandwiches, a crudites platter (who knew that was just raw veggies???)  and maybe some dips and I feel like I'm at a party!  I always loved it when we had cheese and leftover cold ham or roast beef and crackers for dinner when I was a kid.  It just felt more festive.

I'm not even allowed to talk to our house plant because I am the Grim Reaper to all things green, but I know that kids do enjoy growing their own veggies and will, again, be more likely to try them if they grow them.  Planting some container tomatoes or squash or potatoes and watching them grow from seeds to beautiful vegetables is a great way to inspire children to eat those vegetables.

When all else fails....turn to peanut butter.  (unless your child has allergies, of course - bless their hearts!!!)  My oldest daughter ate pb&j sandwiches every single day of her school career until she went to high school.  I'm not exaggerating - every single school day.  Knock on wood, she is one of the healthiest people I know.  There is no scientific proof, but I swear that peanut butter warded off the cold germs! 

Peanut butter is great on waffles, apples, crackers, pretzels, celery....the choices are endless! I've listed two of our favorite recipes below:

Banana Dogs - 1 hot dog bun (lite or wheat suggested), 2 tbs. peanut butter, 1 banana - spread the peanut butter on the bun and place the banana in the center....eat like a hot dog.  Guaranteed grins and giggles.

Soldiers:  saltines, peanut butter, marshmallows:  spread pb on saltines and top with a marshmallow.  Place on a cookie sheet in the oven on BROIL.  Do not walk away....these only take a minute or two to start melting the marshmallows.  Remove from oven and let them cool a bit (just a minute or two....they taste better when they are still a bit warm).  YUMMY!!