Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Save save money - hang a clothesline!

I haven't gone all 50's on you - I still use my dryer every other day, believe me!  But back a few years ago we were really trying to cut costs and I discovered that our electric bill was crazy high!  We started turning off lights when not in the room, got an auto-thermostat for the heating and air conditioning...and my Husband hung a clothesline up for me in the basement!  

I can't stand clothes dried outside on a line.  The towels are scratchy (although they do smell WONDERFUL) and there was this spider incident when I was growing up....so, no....I don't dry clothes outside.  Would I?  If we were in a financial conundrum....of course I would.  But we aren't - so I don't.

But I DO dry some of my clothes on a line in my basement.  Fabrics that have a tendency to shrink get line dried - as well as bras and sweaters.  Once they are dry I toss them in my dryer for no more than 10 minutes on a very low setting just to knock out some of the wrinkles (least favorite job in the world is ironing).  It is truly amazing how much electricity we save with my doing this.  And it saves on the wear and tear of the clothing.  

If you don't have a big enough area to hang a clothesline, purchase a couple of drying racks and put them in your bathtub.  That way if the clothes drip it goes right down the drain AND it forces you to not leave them in their after they are dry.  Can't very well take a bath with clothes racks, now can you??

Try it out....see how much money AND energy you save

No comments:

Post a Comment