Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Time for another recycle, reuse, repurpose and reinvent!

The Average Plastic Bag

I hesitate to write about this because it seems so obvious, but I have found that more and more people throw their plastic grocery/retail store bags in the garbage.  OK, so number 1, if you are not going to reuse, PLEASE recycle.  

Now, on the the reuse and repurpose.  I use the bags in my small garbage cans located throughout my home.  I honestly used to purchase those small liners (the smell good kind) and, yes, bring them home in a plastic bag!  Silly, silly spender!  My husband carries his lunch in a bag every day.   If you have babies, plastic bags are a godsend!  Tie up those diapers in a bag (or sometimes two!) and take them out to the outside garbage can!  They can also be great for tidying up after taking the dog outside.


I think the most clever use that I tried this summer and loved is using bags when painting.  We painted out kitchen and used three different colors and had to do two coats of each....meaning it took a couple of days to do!  Once we were done with the first coat we would slip the paint brush into a plastic bag and tie the end with a rubber band.  This kept the paint from drying out.  When we were ready to paint the second coat, we just took it out of the bag and started painting.  Saved so much energy and water!!

Since it's Tuesday, I'll give you a reuse Two-fer that comes in handy with your plastic bags -   paper towel empty roll (the cardboard tube in the middle.)  I take several plastic bags, roll them up and stick them inside the tube.  I then throw the tube in my van glove box. Nice and neat and easy!  Next time you have a cleanup in the vehicle, you have access to several bags!  (I have a habit of cleaning out the van when I'm waiting at school for kid pick-up....nice way to kill some time.)



No comments:

Post a Comment