Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Be careful who you tell.....

That statement could apply to just about anything, but today it's just a bit of friendly advice.  Be careful who you tell that you COLLECT something.  It seems we all have a small passion for something.  Whether it be frogs or Hummels or Depression Glass.  A lot of us start what we consider to be a nice little collection of items that we enjoy looking at.  And then we tell a friend, or better yet, a family member, and then our nice little collection turns into renting a POD to store our collection in!

I like Giraffes and Teapots.  My teapots live on my kitchen shelves and have a very limited space, so I have tried to limit them to a certain type of teapot - a vegetable type.  It's not so easy to find a vegetable teapot, so it's a nice little challenge.  But when I first started collecting my friends would point out EACH AND EVERY teapot that they saw and ask if I wanted it.  You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so sometimes you had to cave.  Or much worse than that, word gets around your family that you collect something and that is ALL you get for every Birthday, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween, etc., etc., etc.  And it's given with love - they LOVE that they know what to get you!

I don't know if this is a story that was told to me or an Urban Legend, but it goes like this:  A woman bought her Daughter a cute little polar bear figurine, and the daughter smiled and made over it and said thank you.  For the next five years, the Mother bought some sort of polar bear related item for every single holiday.  The Daughter finally had enough and said "Mother - I don't collect polar bears!"  Mother's reply?  "YOU DO NOW!"

I repeat, just be careful who you tell.....and NOBODY better buy me a polar bear teapot...well....I DO like polar bears....

No comments:

Post a Comment