Friday, April 15, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Today is April 15th and, under normal circumstances, it would be referred to as TAX Day in America.  However, this year the Government decided they wanted to mess with me just a tiny bit more and changed the final tax filing day to April 18th....my birthday.  Just had to get in one more dig, didn't you IRS??

I'm not going to let them get to me though.  Instead, I am going to give you advice TODAY on how to stop loaning the Government YOUR money free of charge!  That's what I said...if you are getting a few thousand dollars back in tax refunds each year, you are letting the Government use YOUR money free of charge all year long.  How many times have they loaned you money without interest?  Zilch, zero, zippo.  Stop the madness!

Talk to your HR person at work and change your W-4 TODAY to receive more money in your paycheck each pay period.  Here is a link to the IRS Withholding Calculator to use to determine the correct amount of money that needs to be withheld for taxes. http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96196,00.html

I know a ton of people who actually look forward to that windfall of money that the IRS gives them in tax refunds.  But that's the thing - they aren't giving you anything - they are giving back what should have been yours all along!  When I was living paycheck to paycheck, having the EXTRA tax money in my check certainly made a difference!  And don't use the IRS to save your money for you!  Take that money and have it direct deposited into a Savings Account each pay period.  It's time you earned the interest off of your money - not the Government!

HA - teach them to try to ruin my birthday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment