Thursday, April 14, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Shop at your Workplace

No, I am not suggesting you steal.  However, I am suggesting you check with your place of business when you need office supplies.  When I worked in an office it was AMAZING how much good stuff got thrown away.  They would change a department name and hundreds of reams of stationary would be tossed in the garbage.  They would buy all new binders for office manuals and throw out the old ones.  When people would leave all of their office supplies (pens, pencils, filing trays, staplers, etc.) would be stashed in a supply room and the new person would order all new items.  It was incredibly wasteful, but I personally found it very beneficial!

I absolutely ALWAYS asked before I took anything home (ok, ok....maybe 'accidentally' took a pen or two home)....and 9 times out of 10 I was allowed to bring home anything that was being trashed.  I used the stationary for printing coupons or paper for my kids to draw on.  One time there were 25 binders being replaced - all in great condition - 5 years later I am still in possession of two of them - the others being used by my kids for school.  I asked and received an office chair that someone thought too uncomfortable.  Plastic filing trays that sit to the right of my computer were thrown out (and retrieved by me!) when some people got laid off.  Old business cards are fantastic for writing reminder notes to yourself.

We are a wasteful society and Businesses are usually the first to rather replace than reuse.  Take advantage of their squandering - it will definitely save you some money!

No comments:

Post a Comment