Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Weigh Cool!

POPCORN!!

Popcorn just saved my life....well, my diet anyway.  I have an incredible case of the munchies today and NOT because of that silly 420 day thing.  It was big salty/crunchy craving and that usually turns into CHIPS.  I do my best to keep the bad ones out of the house, but since my husband takes his lunch, I do buy Sun Chips/Low Fat Pringles/lowfat Lays (with olestra).  He gets a small baggy full - but I'm stuck here with a bunch of big bags and no willpower today!

And then I remembered the popcorn.  Oh so easy to fix, oh so crunchy, and oh so few calories!  I find it amusing that unpopped corn has 120 calories (3 tbsp) while popped is only 15 (one cup)....who eats unpopped popcorn? 

I suggest that you always purchase a brand that offers 94% or more Fat Free (I like Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop Butter, but Pop Secret and Act II are really good too.)  When I eat popcorn I like quantity - my daughters seem to prefer a smaller bag but more butter....so we also purchase the little tiny snack bags that aren't as fat free, but there isn't as much popcorn either - so the calories equal out.

Please don't confuse store bought popcorn with MOVIE THEATER popcorn.  Although it is absolutely wonderful and I could eat a tub of it, floating in butter, it is absolutely horrible for you.  The oil that theater popcorn is usually cooked in is coconut oil - and it has a huge fat content.  A big tub of 'movie popcorn with extra butter' can be as much as 1200 calories and....you might want to sit down...126 grams of FAT!!  If I'm going to waste that many calories and have that much fat, it is going to be on something sweet, decadent and covered in chocolate - NOT popcorn!!

So, enjoy your popcorn at home (make sure to read the labels before you purchase) and eat something before you go to the movies!  That popcorn smell can make you do things you normally wouldn't do!



No comments:

Post a Comment