Thursday, April 21, 2011

Whit's Wisdom

Before you go to the store to buy WHATEVER it is that you want to buy, you might want to try this little test.  I have done it twice now and have been cured of the "I Wants" very quickly.  Here's what you do:

Let's just say you want some new earrings.  No special occasion, just saw some in a magazine and decided they would look really good on you.  Ok, so before you pick up your purse and head out the door....go clean out your jewelry organizer.  Pick up each and every earring and ring and bracelet and watch and necklace.  Think about the last time you wore it.  Now, find a nice, neat, organized place for each and every item.  Even better, think about getting rid of some of it ...some of it that you haven't worn but has sentimental value.

Do you STILL want to go out and buy more?  This little exercise made me not want to buy a darn thing!  I did it with my jewelry and also my clothes.  After I put everything in order and realized what I had, what I didn't use, what I could be using if I just realized I had it,  the thought of buying something else that might get shoved to the back and forgotten about made me, well, ashamed.

My parents had the horrible misfortune of being involved in a flood in 2009.  95% of their worldly possessions were destroyed. Our family had to take 40 years worth of purchases and toss them in the garbage because it was covered in yuck and gunk.  The silver lining of this is that we all look at 'stuff' in a different manner now.  My Husband and I have even coined the phrase "Do you want to pick it up out of a flood?"  If it is worth sticking your hand in dirty sewer water to save...then you might truly need it.  If its not....let it stay at the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment